7.29.2006

We All Lose Our Charms in the End

Econo-Girl got a Management degree years, even decades, ago. There she was exposed to the MAX MIN game theory. The thought is to make the worst that can happen as painless as possible.

Econo-Girl frequently thinks of this theory in relation to a functioning democracy. Since we all lose our charms in the end, you will eventually lose power by losing an election or political battle. When that happens, your actions will come to haunt you rather viciously.

With that in mind, a prudent pol will temper him/herself for a potential future downfall. Not in all cases, but for the most part. And that is part of what makes democracy great.


Econo-Girl is posting from sunny Naples, Florida today. Can't wait for a dip in the warm ocean.

6 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Naples?!?!? Last week I was in Fort Myers!

Enjoy Marco Island! It is great.

By the way, if you can make it to Miami (less than 2 hours away) I know a great place that makes their own beer.

Anonymous said...

Sure beats hot and sweaty DC. Enjoy your sojurn. Hope your employment situation is good too.

Doug The Una said...

If you're in Florida then why are asking about Democracy, exactly?

Actually, one of the ways I think I get the current administration is I see little value in refraining from using whatever power is given. I think if I were a pol (and heaven forfend) it would make sense to me to have used whatever authority I had gained and carry the best things I see to do as far as I could push them. We all fall, I'd rather do so have changed some things.

Surprisingly (to me, at least) the politicians and lobbyists I've worked with have been armored in nanohides. To the extent politicians are restrained, I suspect it's because criticism makes them curl up in the fetal position and sob unconsolably.

Enjoy the dip!

Econo-Girl said...

Along the lines of this discussion thread, I wanted to say that BAE is fighting my unemployment benefits. What are they thinking? Haven't I demonstrated my willingness to fight back? Do they think they will wear me out?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I wanted to say that I saw the NY Times article. Personnaly I do not know all the reasons for the loss of your job, but I would fight in court over the loss of the security clearance. I was interested in seeing your resume. It seems strange to see a managment major person in the positions that was noted in the NY Times. I wish you all the best in your new job search.
Sincerely
Billy

Anonymous said...

Along the lines of this discussion thread, I wanted to say that BAE is fighting my unemployment benefits. What are they thinking? Haven't I demonstrated my willingness to fight back? Do they think they will wear me out?

Yes. That is probably exactly what they're thinking.