4.05.2008

Guide to a Perfect Garden

D.C. Is Known For Spring Blooms

D.C. is known for its lovely gardens - both private and public.  A springtime walk through public parks like DuPont Circle, Lafayette Park and the Capitol feature hundreds of tulips, flowering trees and bushes.  Even homeowners devote hours to their yards and can even get a little competitive about it.  I've known people to have their rosebushes stolen.  How can a regular person keep up in this cutthroat horticultural hobby?

Beautification in DC 

We have Lady Bird Johnson to thank for our flowering city.  She made it her project to beautify urban public spaces with blooming plants.  "Lady Bird Johnson selected her adopted hometown of Washington, D.C. as the pilot city to show the nation how Beautification could enhance the overall quality of life."  The results can be seen all over D.C. public lands and parks.

The floral trend caught on in the private sector.  D.C. personal gardens are worthy of a walking tour through Georgetown and DuPont Circle between 17th and 20th Street NW from Q to T Streets in the summer and spring.  Of course, this being the City Of The Overachiever means any gardening secrets are guarded well.  That is, until I cracked the code.  

Here Comes Columbia Heights!

It was on one of my walks that I noticed several yards in my Columbia Heights neighborhood have amazingly bright, large flowers in their yards. These flowers were huge, colorful and flawless. They never dimmed, rotted or fell over. Through unexpected frosts, hail storms and evil winds, the flowers exhibited the same level of charm and beauty. 

They were also plastic. 

Yes, that's right. People bought plastic flowers and planted them along their walkways and in their gardens. One person has even glued large fake roses to his rose bush. I should have been tipped off when I saw the blue roses.  

That's not the funny part.  It took me staring at the amazing sight several times while walking my dog to figure it out.

Brilliant.  Most people would never notice that they weren't real and the homeowners get organic street cred.  Now if my mother would just let me get away with that...

No comments: