11.22.2005

The Silliness of an Econo-Girl

Much to the amusement of Leisure Lad, Econo-Girl is taking all the little things she buys for us and gift wraps it.  And on Christmas Eve, the packages will be opened to much delight and surprise.
 
Econo-Girl is reasonably sure that she will be surprised on Christmas Eve since she has no doubt whatever that she will NOT remember what she bought.
 
Econo-Girl intends to make this season one of her brightest.  Even some of her less domestically adventurous comrades are doing the same.  Econo-Girl calls it the Katrina effect.  It is the need to hold your loved ones close and tell them you love them. 
 
And nothing comforts quite like tradition, even if you've never actually done it before.  In this case, I am roasting chestnuts this season.  No one in my entire gene pool for the last century has roasted chestnuts.  That's a New England WASP thing, and Econo-Girl's background is central European.  Think Polish Easter Tree and blood sausages.
 
But Anglo-Saxon holiday myth envelopes my mind like it does most Americans, whether we will admit it or not.  And roasted chestnuts and white Christmases are a part of it.
 
Hey!  Maybe we can organize Christmas carols this year!  Econo-Girl did that once and it was damn fun.

3 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

I buy stuff for myself, but I am weak. I open it up as soon as I get to my vehicle. I have no willpower at all.

Econo-Girl said...

I am weak in terms of giving my husband his presents right away. But I am getting better.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Do what I do. Keep the gifts in your trunk. BE LAZY! Sometimes, it works.