11.13.2010

Nanowrimo: Day Thirteen


I've read recent posts about the stupidity of Nanowrimo and how all it does is encourage very bad writing. The writers seem to dismiss the exercise, and that's all that it is, as a waste of time.

For me, Nanowrimo experience was key in getting me to overcome the internal editor that needs to be in storage during the initial creative process. When you have a certain amount of words to get out in a day, it floods the internal editor and finally shuts it up.

Nanowrimo also gets a writer into the habit of daily writing. Serious daily writing. It challenges the commitment level a writer thinks they have for their project. Every time I sit down to watch television or a movie on Netflix, I have to ask myself why I am doing this instead of my writing. That kind of double-checking is not in place if I don't have the pressure of a big writing deadline every day.

Finally, when all is said and done, Nanowrimo gives the writer a real sense of accomplishment and good feeling for having seen it through to the end. Even though my novel does not qualify for the Nanowrimo contest because I began writing it in dribs and drabs a few years ago, I am really dedicated to getting the novel done. After that, I can rewrite and add and embellish.

I am going to throw another photo of my forebears on this post to remind all of you that everyone used to dress in a formal manner all the time, and aren't we lucky as shit? The above photo is of some cousins who, according to German custom at the time, went for a walk every Sunday after church. I love the natural movement of this photo.

No comments: